Isabel Allende, one of the most famous latina authors, writes her story "Dos Palabras" under the genre of magical realism. As real events become abnormal and impossible events become reality, magical realism both frightens and intrigues its readers.
"Dos Palabras"
Two words.
The two words that drive this thought-provoking and heart-wrenching story are never actually explicitly stated but the reader slowly settles on their interpretation in the last line of the story which is below written in the native language followed by my translation, not free of mistakes.
"Los hombres comprendieron entonces que ya su jefe no podía deshacerse del hechizo de esas dos palabras endemoniadas, porque todos pudieron ver los ojos carnívoros del puma tornarse mansos cuando ella avanzó y le tomó la mano."
The men finally understood that their leader could not undo the spell of the two words which had possessed him because they could see his eyes like those of a ravenous cougar become tame when she walked towards him and he took her by the hand.
How powerful is love between a man and a woman!
Yet, even as I grow to learn more about the love between a man and a woman, between a mother and a daughter, between two sisters and two friends, between a disciple and a discipler, it is then that I grow in deeper understanding of the love of God.
It happens through these thoughts...
Why not translate the way I treat my loved ones here on earth to the way I treat my Father in Heaven? Why not learn from the love I receive here on earth about the love I receive from my Father in Heaven?
"I wonder if he's thinking about me." => "I wonder if He's thinking about me."
"I want to do something special for him." => "I want to do something special for Him."
"She understands me so well." => "He understands me so well."
Your love is incomprehensible, Father. Only is it more fully comprehended through a reflection on the earthly relationships that You have ordained. What a master architect You are!...using Your own creation to point more perfectly towards Your holy identity. Amen.
Two words.
(In English, it's three.)
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
here are two words for ya hi sara
I think Dad left that anonymous comment... that's my guess.
- Kim
Yes, It was me and only because I wanted to see if commenting was gonna work, the option to respond anonymously was not there before. Anyway, Hi Chelsea! Hi Kim! Keep up the good writing Sara. I enjoy reading your thoughts!
Post a Comment