Sunday, August 9, 2009

Security

Our pastor shared this morning about a psychological trait that is said to be different among men and women. While men and women alike desire both security and significance, males are more often drawn to significance and females to security.

I was searching for that security when I was driving home tonight from my new residence. I went through a checklist in my mind. I won't be sleeping in the same house or living in the same town. I won't be returning to the same school this fall. I'm no longer the student but now I'm the teacher. Just when I felt myself grasping around in the dark for something to hold on to, I remembered to turn on the light.

God is my constant security. Even if every circumstance in my life were changing (which is not the case), I know that He would not change. "...for He has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" (Hebrews 13:5)

I am reminded of a trip to Spain in which I sat on a large window sill of a hostel and recalled all of the new things that I was encountering. Fear was far from my mind as I contemplated that the same God I worshiped in America was the same God in Spain.

"Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139:7-10

I dream of future opportunities to further cleave myself from the familiar of this world in search of the unknown in the next. I pray that I would have the courage to accept them.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Sara, before Neil catches up with you, I have to tell you that you meant to say "hostel" in your blog, not "hostile".

That little spelling error was insignificant, though, in the whole point of what you were saying. I was tearful as I read your words about God never changing, no matter where we are or what we are doing in this life. He is the only constant--there are no people or places that we can rely on to stay the same--everything and everyone changes as we go through our days on this earth. Anyway, thank you for the beautiful reminder of His love and care for us. Love you, Mom