My boots dug their heels into the crowd of leaves covering the back patio as the tears clung to my eyelashes in vain. There is no use denying it anymore. I took my last steps through my childhood house. Scanning my eyes across the backyard, the memories pushed and shoved to steal my attention. Sledding down the hill with Neil and Kim. Tossing cornhole with my friends. Watching Oliver strut across the patio. Hearing Dad call my name from the bottom of the basement steps. Mom's hugs. The more I remembered, the more I felt relieved that the sad song my heart was singing wasn't playing to the melody of a place but of a time that is now past.
As my feet crossed the threshold of the basement doors, I turned back my head to let the melody of worship bounce off the walls of the empty room, leaving behind an echo of praise to the God who lent us such a place to live and grow.
My foot pressed on the accelerator to lead me forward, and through the veil of tears I could see the ghost of a small girl running up the front yard as I drove away, wildly waving her arms goodbye.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Holy Shit--that is REALLY good.
Your writing just keeps getting better.
Very nice tribute, Sara!
Post a Comment