Friday, September 12, 2008

Pretzels

Besides the tasty lil' pretzel goldfish I've been munching on all week...

The pretzel has been the theme of the day.
I was eating lunch with a friend (how sweet it was to enjoy her presence!), and she shared an interesting fact. Did you know that the significance of the three holes in a pretzel originally represented the trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? Not to mention, the upfolded pattern was to symbolize prayers sent heavenward, ending in a finished product that resembles arms folded in prayer. Neat.

THEN, I had the further privilege of going swing dancing tonight at Indy Fountain Square with my lovely suite mates. And, what new dance step do you think I learned? None other than "the pretzel." It looks a lot like it sounds: twisting and turning, seemingly endlessly, until your arms are linked in the pretzel-shape. How I love dancing! Often, my thoughts drift into an image of myself dancing in a "broad place"...my feet perfectly in time, my arms and hips moving fluidly to the rhythm. In this dream, it doesn't appear that I have a partner; nonetheless, it is natural and complete, not forced or awkward. Instinctively, I know that God is my leader in this dance. And I, the follower, am kept in time by His loving guidance. It is how I longingly imagine my relationship with God: never-ending, knowing, exhilarating, trusting, beautiful.

"He brought me forth also into a broad place;
He rescued me, because He delighted in me."
Psalm 18:19

Eat a pretzel.

3 comments:

Ronda said...

Hey, girl... cool commentary. :-) Hope things are good with you... I've been reading blogs here for a while and realized yours was on here. I opened an account (couldn't post a comment without it for some reason), but we'll see if I actually use it.

Take care and have a good week! :-)

Stacy Eckstein said...

Interesting pretzel facts...it kinda makes me want to eat one right now.

Sara Eckstein said...

haha stacy, i was just thinking of you the other day when i was eating a pretzel...
...remember how hard we tried to teach you to eat a pretzel rod without dropping crumbs all over the place! ha ha!